Sunday, September 6, 2009

Dirty, Dirty, Dirty

Why, on earth are these children so dirty?
Do I bathe them on a regular basis?

Photobucket

Did I spill a jar of spaghetti sauce all over them?

Photobucket

Well, of course I bathe them, and no, nothing was spilled on them. I made what I will consider the BEST ever tomato sauce that I have ever made. Mainly because it had OODLES of balsamic vinegar in it - which I could drink straight out of the bottle, but that's another post for another time. My little ones cleaned their plates (which is pretty rare thing these days).

Photobucket

Maybe it was the Mickey Mouse whole wheat pasta, or maybe it was the awesome sauce. Either way, I'll take what I can get.

Photobucket

Our garden is overrun with tomatoes - so many that it's hard to keep up with them. Usually we would just give them away, but I came across a recipe and thought I'd see what I could come up with. For the sauce I used about 2-3 lbs of tomatoes - cut into 4ths, about 1/4 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, about 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar, a whole heck of a lot of fresh basil - chopped, about 6 cloves of garlic - peeled and sliced, a few teaspoons of dried Oregano, and salt and pepper. I mixed all this together in a large bowl and then poured everything into a shallow pan (I used a 9x13 glass baking dish). Roasted it all in the oven for about 1 hr 30 min at 400 degrees, and then poured it all into the food processor, and Voila - best Tomato Sauce EVER!!!

If you find yourself with an excess of tomatoes - make this sauce. Make it, bottle it, freeze it, love it, but make sure that you don't sit there and eat all of it before you share it - it would be so easy to do.

1 comment:

Taffy said...

Um, hello! Tomato queen here....without any tomatoes!